Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is reminding people to take action when they hear an alarm going off.
If you hear a neighbour’s smoke alarm sounding, act on it! It could save lives.
We are committed to delivering a quality home safety service to our local communities and the most valuable resource we have are you – the people – yourselves, who can contact us if you have safety concerns about a relative, friend or neighbour.
If you know someone who may benefit from our help, phone 0800 731 5958 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (quoting reference 218). This particularly applies for anyone who:
• Is over 65 years old, as the risk of dying in a fire is more than twice as high as the average for all other ages.
• Is vulnerable or may require additional assistance or support.
• Lives somewhere that is unsuitable or unsafe.
• May have extreme mobility issues that would impede them escaping in the event of a fire.
• May have a sensory impairment resulting from Alzheimer’s, dementia, strong medication, alcohol or drug issues or may be hard of hearing, which would stop them hearing or reacting to a fire or the smoke alarm in their property.
• Does not have working smoke alarms in their property.
We are able to offer fire safety advice and can help improve conditions for them.
For people who are identified as hard of hearing, strobe light alarms and vibrating pads can be installed by MFRS at properties.
A flashing strobe and accompanying vibrating pad, which is placed under an occupier’s pillow or mattress, is triggered by smoke alarms to alert someone who may not be able to hear an audible alarm.
Any information shared with MFRS will be treated in the strictest confidence and only used to prevent serious injury or death. Our aim is to ensure people are safe in their homes and, as such, we adopt a non-judgmental approach in respect of an individual’s personal circumstances.
For more information, or for free fire safety advice, call Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service on 0800 731 5958.