Merseyside Fire and Rescue: Keep safe this summer

With summer just around the corner (we hope), many families will be getting excited about the prospect of trips to the beach, picnics in the park and a tasty barbecue. But whilst the warm weather brings with it a lot of fun, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service (MFRS) is urging people to remember that summer also has a serious side.

During the warmer months there is an increased risk of wildfires starting in hot weather, the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues and dangers involving open water. 

Luckily, there are a number of simple steps that people can take to ensure they keep themselves and their families safe this summer.

When out and about, make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished before being safely disposed of to avoid grass fires and dispose of any litter, especially tin foil and glass, responsibly.

If you’re using a barbecue, make sure it is kept well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs and garden waste and remember, NEVER Use petrol or paraffin to ignite it. Always keep a bucket of water nearby.

Another thing to bear in mind when enjoying a barbecue is the threat of carbon monoxide, which you cannot taste, smell or see. Carbon monoxide can be produced by barbecues and causes unconsciousness or even death.

This is particularly important when camping. NEVER take a smouldering or lit charcoal or gas barbecue into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you have finished cooking, your barbecue should remain outside as it will still give off fumes for some hours after use. 

For further information or fire safety advice, call 0800 731 5958.