The recent spell of warm weather has been a welcome promise that summer is finally here.
Although there’s plenty to look forward to, including barbecues, beach visits and picnics, summer also has a serious side.
During the warmer months there is an increased risk of wildfires starting in hot weather, the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues and dangers involving open water.
Luckily, there are a number of things that people can do to help keep themselves safe this summer.
When out and about, make sure cigarettes are completely extinguished before being safely disposed of to avoid grass fires and dispose of any litter, especially tin foil and glass, responsibly.
Similarly, if you are using a barbecue, make sure it is kept well away from sheds, fences, tress shrubs and garden waste and never use petrol or paraffin to ignite it. Always keep a bucket of water nearby.
Carbon monoxide, which you cannot taste, smell or see, can be produced by barbecues and cause unconsciousness and even death.
For this reason, and to reduce the chance of fires starting while camping, we advise people never take a smouldering or lit charcoal or gas barbecue in to a tent, caravan or cabin.
Even if you have finished cooking, your barbecue should remain outside as it will still give off fumes for some hours after use.
Enjoy the hot weather and the long sunny days, but be careful and stay safe.
For more information about fire safety, please visit: www.merseyfire.gov.uk