Ensuring the safety of your children whilst driving is extremely important and can prevent potential accidents and injuries.
Seat belts are designed to reduce the injuries caused by a crash and it is imperative that seat belt law is followed to ensure their effectiveness:
• Driver: Seat belt must be worn
• Child up to 3 Years of Age: Correct child restraint must be used
• Child Aged 3 To 11 and Under 135cm in height (about 4.5 Feet): Correct child restraint must be used
• Child Aged 12 or 13 years or Younger Child 135cm or more In height: Adult seat belt must be worn
• Passengers aged 14 years and over: Adult seatbelt must be worn
Child Car Seats
An adult seat belt on its own will not properly fit a child so it is important that a car seat is used. The car seat must be properly fitted and be chosen according to the weight and size of your child.
The car seat you choose must:
• Conform to the United Nations standard, ECE Regulation 44.04 (or R 44.03) or to the new i-size regulation, R129. Look for the ‘E’ mark label on the seat.
• Be suited to your child’s weight and size
• Be fitted correctly
For more information on choosing and fitting the correct car seat for your child, please visit: www.childcarseats.org.uk
Inside the vehicle
Young children should never be left inside a vehicle by themselves.
If leaving a child inside your car, you must follow the below:
• Never leave keys in ignition when vacating the vehicle, even for a short period of time
• Do not leave dangerous items such as matches and lighters in the car
• Do not allow children to play with controls inside the car such as the gearstick and handbrake
• Always lock the steering wheel after removing the key
• Turn the wheels so that the car is stopped by the kerb if it starts to move.
General car health
Ensuring that your car is road safe frequently is very important.
Check your tyres regularly, ensure anti-freeze, oil, brake fluid and screenwash levels are substantial and service your car once a year.
• Feakins of Kettering offer car servicing for all makes and models of cars – servicing ensures that your car is running smoothly and reduces the risk of breaking down and incurring costly repairs. For more information, please contact Feakins on 01536 517038 or email firstname.lastname@example.org